just wanted to share the new insulation (spray foamed) on the third floor. The change is amazing. During the USGBC tour we gave, a participant pointed out some of the conductive heat problems we were going to have due to thermal bridging at the interior walls of the containers. I have to admit I did not want the criticism, but I thought about it and Ben and I figured we do the extra effort and do our best to cover all the problems. Notice that we framed and foamed the exposed beams. We also framed and foamed any areas in any wall to insulate further. Also notice that we foamed at least a foot down below the ceiling were the seams of the containers meet. The exposed steel walls are now cool to the touch. The second floor will get the same treatment. We will be putting up drywall soon.
Peace… because I really need it, Tom
A sun/rain screen device is an addition to the original elevations. This wing keeps most wind blown rain water from entering the third floor porch and provides afternoon shade. It also adds a little motion to the west facade. The support brackets are tilted in two directions and resemble the branches of the surrounding trees. Their angles will also be compatible with the “solar trees” that will be on the roof. More on that later…
We held the first LEED tour on August 12. Over 75 people came through the project. The project is still on track for LEED for Homes Platinum. Thanks to the USGBC Heart of Florida Chapter Mike Amish and Jennifer Langford for organizing and putting the word out.
Interior partitions had been framed and all the plumbing, electrical air conditioning systems had been roughed in and passed City inspections. It was a perfect time to show visitors how the project was put together. There were many questions. Due to the heat, most had to do with insulation and conditioning.
While I have been remiss in making new postings on Tom’s progress, he has been busy. Following, I will post pictures dating back to July 20 and bring the blog up to date. The biggest milestone of late has been the completion of the rough in. The project passed all of the pre-insulation inspections on August 11. This means that interior walls get covered up soon!
The push continues. These pics are the new vents for stove, bathrooms and gas water heater. You can see also the gas and water hookups through the steel outside wall. I also had some pics of the AC lines and disconnects but they were out of focus. I’ll try again. Also we drywalled and plastered the ceiling in the garage … getting ready for electric in the first floor. At this point the electrical rough in is almost completely done. I will insulate later. I am hoping to move in at the end of August.
Hello everyone! Here are a few more pics. Notice how the mini-split condensing unit will sit on the roof stand. Ben brought his mini (its the same model we are getting) to the site today and used it as a template. Good thing he did. It helped us trouble shoot potential problems. Also, new drain in third floor porch. Hey no one said construction was pretty. I am experimenting with colors. this blue is on the fence for a test. I am 50/50 on it. I might go darker. the actual living area will be a very light blue. I thank all of you who are helping for your efforts. -Tom
Here are more pics of the construction. We are working on the roof penetrations: AC stands, vent stacks, water line and electric receptacle, solar line feed chase. The garage doors are going in. Notice all the steel scraps we had left over from the structural support now being recycled into an important part of the house. Nothing has gone to waste in this construction. My amazing welder John Andrews came up with the roofs made from corten
steel scrap. He made them in minutes. Just one of the small miracles that will make this house come to life.